Did you know that there 90 million dogs registered as pets? That’s close to 40 percent of all households in America. Of these registered pet dogs, a significant percentage are large, extra large, and even XXL breed. With all of these large dogs running around, you will naturally need to be sure that you have a safe place for your pet to call home.
If you own a big dog, you’re going to need an oversized kennel. It’s no fun for your pet if you have to sequester them in a tiny little cage that they can’t even stand or lie down in. It’s a much better idea to get them a cage that is sized big enough to house them in a comfortable fashion.
It’s also a great inspiration to find them a kennel that is strong enough to stand up to a good amount of wear and tear while you move. For all of these reasons, I’ve come to your aid. I’ve put together a list of large, extra large, and XXL dog crates that are guaranteed to meet all the needs of your favorite four legged friend.
My #1 Recommended Large Dog Crate
As it turns out, my number one recommended large dog crate is the Midwest Life Stages model. I came to this recommendation for a number of reasons. Number one, it’s built to last. It won’t tear up easily during a move and it’s too strong for your dog to chew up.
It’s handy, portable, attractive to look at, and easy to monitor your dog in. Finally, it’s priced very reasonably once you consider all of the advantages that come with it. For these reasons, it earns my highest recommendation.
Midwest Life Stages
- Very easy to assemble in a very short amount of time
- Made of extremely durable high gauge steel
- Includes a removable floor grate to make cleaning easy
- A pair of heavy duty side bolt latches keep the cage secure
The reason I picked the Midwest Life Stages as my favorite large dog crate is easy to see. It includes all of the features listed above plus plenty more. The main point of interest is its heavy duty gauge steel construction. However, there are other advantages to take note of.
You should also be interested in the fact that this particular crate is the perfect choice for owners of big dogs. Meanwhile, the removable floor grate ensures that you’ll never have to worry about the crate getting too dirty for your dog to live comfortably in.
While the Midwest Life Stages is most definitely my favorite dog kennel for large breeds, it’s also important to note that there are some other models on the market. These models may represent an even better fit for the needs of some buyers.
I’m gracious enough to give plenty of space to these runner ups and their various features. I believe that, once they have been given a fair hearing, you will be able to choose the model that is best for your own dog. Let’s look at these runner ups and their pros and cons.
Midwest Ultima Pro
You’ll be interested to know that Midwest makes a large variety of crates besides the Life Stages. For example, many people swear by the Ultima Pro. This unique large dog crate does come with a wealth of features, such as the ability to be folded down into a convenient smaller size.
This model comes with a divider panel, removable plastic floor grate, and other features that may catch your eye. Assembly can be finished in a short time. Owners of larger dogs will also appreciate the fact that this particular model is definitely priced affordably.
- The Ultimata Pro is sized generously at 49L x 29.75W x 34.75H inches
- At a weight of just under 57 pounds, it’s not hard to move
- It’s made of extremely thick and durable wire gauge
- It’s easy to monitor your dog and feed them snacks through the double-latch entry point
- It’s a bit pricier than some comparable large dog crate models
- This crate doesn’t come with caster wheels to roll it on to your car or moving van with
MidWest Homes for Pets XXL
The Midwest Homes for Pets XXL model is, in some ways, a better fit for a select group of large pet owners than my favorite choice, the Midwest Life Stages. This is all the more true if your large pet happens to be a Great Dane. If this is the case, then you’re going to need an ultra-plus sized model like this one. The Midwest Homes for Pets XXL model lives up to its name by being the ultimate crate for these breeds.
It’s made of the usual high quality steel but comes with a few extra security features that are sure to make it attractive to owners of very large breeds. It comes in a specially engineered double door configuration. Both doors are held fast with 3 heavy duty secure slide-bolt latches. These doors are further secured with a drop-pin assembly that is designed to keep them shut during the time the crate is in transit.
- Steel gauge with thick wire mesh construction
- Generously sized at 54L x 37W x 45H inches
- Includes the standard removable floor plate to make cleaning simple and easy
- Fully ventilated to allow your dog plenty of air
- At a weight of 80.2 pounds, this model is a bit on the heavy side
- Assembly takes a bit of time and effort, with at least 2 people required
The Petmate ProValu is a great choice for large to XXL large breeds. It’s a good fit for German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, and the like. For this reason, some customers may prefer it to other crates that are better suited to extremely large breeds like the Great Dane. However, this particular model can be purchased in a variety of sizes, giving it a versatility that some of the others on this list do not possess.
If you’re looking for long time durability, the Petmate ProValu is a very worthy candidate. Its e-coat finish is highly resistant to rust while its durable metal construction will keep it in good shape during even the most eventful move. I should also let you know that it comes with a divider panel that you can use to store two pups at once should the need arise. For these reasons, this is a very handy dog crate.
- Comes in a variety of sizes from extra small (19 X 12 X 14) to Extra Large ( 48 X 30 X 32)
- 5-point precision lock system keeps the crate secured in 5 different areas
- Corners are rounded to prevent injuries to your dog
- Comes with a standard removable plastic pan for quick cleaning
- Available in a variety of sizes is a pro but also a con if you don’t make sure that you are ordering the right size for your pet
- Can be somewhat pricier than other comparable models
When it comes to finding a truly worthy large dog crate on a budget, you can always get a good deal from Amazon. The AmazonBasics dog crate gives you a lot of crate for your money and is an excellent addition to the runner ups on this list. It comes in several sizes so you will need to pay special attention to the dimensions when you order.
The AmazonBasics dog crate comes with a standard array of features that include a removable plastic floor pan for quick and simple cleaning. It also includes a divider panel that allows you to store several puppies or change the dimensions to include different pets at different times. Finally, the crate is priced extremely reasonably. All of these features make the AmazonBasics a model well worth your attention.
- Comes in single or double door styles
- The XXL model is very generously sized at 48 x 30 x 32.5 inches, while other sizes are also available
- Includes divider panel to separate puppies or accommodate various pets at different times
- Standard removable plastic pan to facilitate easy cleaning
- Doesn’t come with caster wheels, meaning you’ll have to do some heavy lifting to get it into your car or the moving van
- Comes in several different sizes so you’ll need to be very precise when ordering if you want to get an exact fit for your dog