Is your home shared by a number of four legged canine friends? Or are you planning to host several on behalf of a family member or friend? You may even be planning to open up a doggie sitter business, or simply want a place for your pup to run around safely. If any of these scenarios ring true for you, you may need more than a typical pet crate – and this is where a new dog kennel can come in handy. This is the place where you can keep your furry friends safe, happy, and under control.
There are many different kinds of dog kennels that you can buy. But if you are going to be spending a lot of time indoors with your dogs, it’s best to consider the purchase of an indoor dog kennel. There are many safe, reputable, and cost effective models on the market. But, sadly, there are also a lot of cheap outfits ripping people off with outrageously inferior products. This is why there needs to be a watchdog for modern dog products.
And since no one else is stepping up to do it, I may as well be the one to tell you why you need to avoid certain products in favor of others. Below, you’ll find my list of the newest, best, and most durable indoor dog kennels. I will also explain to you why I made my choice for my number one favorite as well as all of the runner ups I have chosen. Read on to find out which ones you should be on the lookout for.
My #1 Recommended Indoor Dog Kennel
My top choice for indoor kennels turns out to be the new North States MyPet 34 Sq. Ft. Petyard. The reason for this is simple: It’s the sturdiest, most attractive, roomiest, and most cost effective model. Add to this safety, convenience, and portability and you have all of our main criteria for rating indoor dog kennels. I conducted careful tests using these criteria on all of the models on this list.
It doesn’t take much to please a happy dog but it should definitely take more than a “reasonable” price to satisfy your consumer expectations. It’s never a good idea to simply buy the first dog kennel of any kind that “looks good.” It’s better to do the necessary research in order learn just what “good”, “better”, and “best” really mean. Read on to learn how you can make better consumer decisions in this crucial area.
North States MyPet 34 Sq. Ft. Petyard
- 8-panel play area stands a total of 26 inches tall. It can enclose up to 34. 4 square feet of space
- Total dimensions are 35.25 x 10.3 x 26.5 in
- Kennel is extremely easy to assemble and disassemble by adding or removing two panels at a time
- At 25.9 pounds, kennel is extremely portable and lightweight
Mere stats don’t tell the whole story of the new North States MyPet unit. This is an ingeniously devised indoor kennel that is lightweight, portable, yet incredibly durable and long lasting. The secret of its success is the 8 panels that make up the unit. These can be easily assembled in order to give your dog and their friends plenty of room to roam, sleep, and play in. The unit can be just as quickly disassembled.
Another major point of attraction is its cleanliness. The unit is easy to clean with kitchen spray and napkins. It comes with a specially designed doggy door that your pet and their friends can use to get in and out of the unit. This door is also lockable so that you can store your pet securely and safely. For all of these reasons and more, I believe that the new North States MyPet unit easily secures the number one spot.
What Are the Runner Ups?
There are many indoor dog kennels out there on the market for you to choose from. I have already recommended my personal favorite model to you. However, in the interest of fairness, I should also mention that there are plenty of other very worthy models that ranked highly on our list. Even though none of the runner ups listed below were able to claim my top spot, it doesn’t mean you may not prefer them.
Therefore, let’s have a quick look at some of the best of the runner ups. While I prefer the North States MyPet for reasons I have already listed, you may have a very different point of view. Some of the features I list for these runner ups may be much more appealing to your own sense of what you need in an indoor dog kennel. With that in mind, I’ll list my picks for the 4 best runner ups on my indoor dog kennel list.
Midwest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen
Some people may find that the previous model is a bit too “flimsy” for their liking. Even though this is absolutely not the case, it may be that you simply prefer the “tried and true” traditional feel of a metal indoor dog kennel. If this is true of you, then you are also bound to appreciate the fact that this particular new indoor dog kennel has been updated to include a range of exciting new style elements.
For example, this particular metal indoor dog kennel is foldable and comes with a secure double latched door system that guarantees the safety of your pet. The system is large enough to store multiple dogs and give them plenty of room to play, sleep, and feed in. It can be quickly folded down, panel by panel, to stored in a convenient location when not in use. For these reasons, it tops my list of runner ups.
- Folds up very quickly and easily, yet can be just as quickly reassembled, panel by panel
- Total dimensions are 62 x 62 x 30 inches
- Total item weight is 21.4 pounds
- 16 square feet of enclosed area
- Since the unit is meant for indoor use, it doesn’t come with the usual caster wheels for enhanced portability that a dog crate would
- You will need to make sure that this particular unit is large enough to fit your particular breed of dog as well as any other dogs you may wish to include. The unit does come in a variety of larger sizes. Make sure you know exactly what size model you are ordering.
AmazonBasics Foldable Metal Pet Exercise and Playpen
Another classic foldable metal indoor dog kennel on this list is the new AmazonBasics Foldable Metal Pet Exercise and Playpen. Contrary to its name, there is nothing simple or basic about this exciting new model. It gives your dog plenty of space to move, play, eat, and sleep in. If you are hosting two larger dogs or a few small ones, this is the perfect indoor dog kennel for you to buy. A warranty of quality is included.
You can quickly assemble or disassemble this particular model by simply adding or taking away the panels, one by one. Each panel measures 42 by 24 inches. When all 8 panels are added to the unit, this creates a total enclosure space of 49 square feet. The unit is easily cleaned using conventional fabric spray and a few napkins. If you are looking for a simple, foldable indoor dog kennel, this makes an excellent choice.
- Total dimensions are 59.1 x 59.1 x 30 inches
- The unit can easily be assembled or disassembled by adding or removing each panel
- Total item weight is 19.85 pounds
- Plenty of space for your dog and their friends to move and play around in
- No caster wheels are included, making this unit strictly an indoor device
- Unlike some of the other models on the market, this particular unit contains only a single lockable front door for pet access
IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen
The new IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen is a hard plastic indoor dog kennel that boasts an ingenious construction style. However, it should be noted that this unit also contains a much smaller enclosure area than the others on this list. Total dog storage space is only about 21 square feet compared to the nearly 49 inches other models have to offer. However, this is not a major pet peeve for smaller dogs.
If you have a few smaller breeds to look after, this new model will do just fine. Its lightweight, plastic panel frame will let you set it up for use and then pack it away in storage in a matter of minutes after you are finished with it. It comes with a securely latched front door to allow your pets quick and easy access. All in all, its diminutive size will be a turn off for some buyers but a definite turn on for others.
- Dimensions of the 8 panels total 63″L x 63″W x 34.3″H
- Total item weight is 26.2 pounds
- This smaller sized model is ideal for housing small dogs or the average sized housecat
- A much smaller enclosure area of 21 square feet, smaller than the other models on this list
- Its plastic construction renders it a bit pricier than other models listed here
New World Pet Products Foldable Metal Exercise Pen
The last item on my list of runner ups is the New World Pet Products Foldable Metal Exercise Pen. It’s another metal foldable indoor dog kennel, but with a few handy tricks up its sleeve. For one, this particular model is very adaptable. You can buy the small dog enclosure to get enough space to house your small dog and a few of their friends in. However, other models are also available to house a series of larger dogs.
This versatility extends to other areas as well. The metal front door can be securely latched to keep all of your dogs safe. When you are all through with it, just fold it up and store it away in a convenient location. Its sturdy metal 8 panel design is rust-proof and bite-proof. The entire unit comes with a full warranty of guaranteed quality direct from the maker. As runner ups go, this model gives you great value.
- Folding 8 panel design keeps assembling and disassembling to an absolute minimum of time and effort
- The model can be ordered in a variety of sizes to fit the needs of small to large dogs
- The smallest model can also be used as a safe kennel for cats and other non-climbing animals such as turtles, guinea pigs, and rabbits
- Comes with ground stakes to keep the unit securely anchored
- This model comes in a variety of sizes, meaning that you will need to be very specific about which size you are ordering
- Designed for indoor use so does not come with included caster wheels