Did you know that over 44 percent of all households in the United States include a dog? That’s a total of nearly 78 million four legged friends running around in the house! And of that grand total, quite a few are bound to be puppies. If you’re looking to bring a new pet into your home, you’ll need a place where they can feel welcome and comfortable.
I’ve long been an expert in the puppy crating and general training industry. This means that I know a good puppy crate from a not so good one. When it comes time to get your puppy accustomed to living in your household, there’s going to be a lot of moving parts to deal with. From personal experience I can confidently say that it’s best to think ahead.
I’ve compiled this list of the best puppy crates, kennels, and cages in order to give you a realistic idea of what your best options are. I’ll give you all of the relevant stats, pros, and cons so that you can make the informed choice that is best for your needs. I’ll also be happy to let you know all about my #1 recommended puppy crate.
My #1 Recommended Puppy Crate
There are a number of very important things that you will need to keep in mind when choosing a puppy crate. Size, weight, portability, and adaptability are all crucial criteria. You need to find a crate that can comfortably house your puppy on a day to day basis. There needs to be plenty of space for them to move around in and grow. And there should be adequate ventilation for them to breathe through.
Of course, there are also other factors that will need to come into play here. One of the most important ones will surely be affordability. We don’t want to blow our whole budget on dog crates! On this list, starting with my number one favorite model, I’ll give you all of the details on what to look for and how to choose your own preferred candidate.
AmazonBasics Single & Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate
- Sturdy metal construction guarantees a lifetime’s worth of service
- Folding feature allows the entire unit to be stored in a closet or corner of your home when not in use
- Optional diver panel lets you store more than one puppy if need be, and adjust the crate space as they grow
- Plastic floor pan allows for easy clean up
As noted above, my top choice is the new AmazonBasics Single & Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate. The reason why is its affordability, durability, and portability. You won’t have to spend your entire budget to own this handy model. And once you do, you’ll get many long years of use out of it. You can even use the included divider panel to store two puppies for the price of one. It’s a sweetheart deal.
Another reason to choose the AmazonBasics Single & Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate is to take full advantage of its folding feature. You don’t have to lug around a huge, bulky crate every time you need to take your puppy somewhere new. This handy crate folds up into a corner of my house. I leave it there to wait its turn until the next time me and my pup need to go off somewhere in search of a new adventure.
What are runner ups? For most people, the term conjures up an image of “second best” or “also rans” or even “wanna-bes.” I don’t think this is fair. There are plenty of excellent puppy crates, kennels, and cages on the market. I’ve already outlined the reasons why I chose my own particular favorite. For me, the AmazonBasics model satisfies all of the criteria I use in my own decision making process.
But it’s safe to say that my opinion is not the only one that matters, nor should you be hesitant to make your own choice. For this reason, I’ve also decided to include a short list of the some of the “runner up” models that also scored high on my list. You may well prefer one of these models to my own choice. Let’s just run through them to see what they offer and how they may be the perfect model for your puppy.
Precision Pet by Petmate “ProValu” Two Door Wire Dog Crate
The new Precision Pet by Petmate “ProValu” is an excellent choice for the first runner up on my list. It comes in this high for a number of reasons. To begin with, it’s got a double entrance security system that gives two loading and unloading options. Should an accident occur while your pet is in the crate, this twin loading security feature will give you an extra safety option if need be.
I should also note that this model, even though made of steel, is amazingly lightweight. The model for extra small pets only weighs 8.8 pounds in total. This means you won’t have to break your back when loading the crate on to your personal vehicle or moving truck. Finally, I should add that this model is very affordable. For all of these reasons, you may find this model a very worthy candidate for purchase.
- Twin safety entrances in the front and top
- Sized from 19 X 12 X 14 (Extra Small) all the way up to 48 x 30 x32 (Extra Large)
- Rounded corners enhance your puppy’s comfort
- Removable steel pan allows you to keep the crate clean
- Comes in a wide variety of sizing options, so you need to be very clear about which model you actually want
- Doesn’t come with casters, which may make portability an issue with some users
Petmate Two Door Top Load Dog Kennel
The new Petmate Two Door Top Load Dog Kennel is quite a steal at its current price. It’s also a handy, stylish new kennel that will be the perfect fit for some readers. I gave it a high ranking because of its sturdy plastic design and convenient handle grips. If you’re looking for a model that is budget sized, budget priced, but definitely not lacking in useful features, this may be the one to choose.
The Petmate model is top loaded and comprised of a double wingnut and bolt design. This makes it very durable and long lasting. It also has plenty of ventilation in the front and sides, allowing your pet to breathe easy during their trip. The wire mesh on the front door is elastic and chew-proof. Finally, you should note that the handy grip will make this a very easy crate to load on and off your vehicle.
- Hard shell plastic construction renders it one of the most durable and long lasting models on this list
- Easy open latch allows you to open up the door using only one hand if need be
- Total dimensions are 24 x 16.8 x 14.5 inches
- Total weight is a very portable 4.95 pounds
- It’s all one hardshell plastic piece, so lovers of collapsible models may need to choose another unit
- Definitely designed for a single small puppy. If you have more than one, you may need two of this one or a bigger model of some other design
Carlson Pet Single Door Metal Dog Crate
If you’re looking for a simple, easy to understand and use, metal folding crate that will house a small puppy of up to 25 pounds, this one is well worth your time. It ranks a bit lower on my list than other models simply because it is so straightforward and a bit one dimensional. But if you just need to crate up a small puppy in a hurry, this is a model that will do the job in a lively and reliable fashion.
Just because it’s a bit on the simple side doesn’t mean it doesn’t come with a few handy perks. You can use the handy included plastic floor pan to keep the crate clean. And you will also come to appreciate its folding design. After you’ve finished using it, just fold it up and put in your closet or anywhere it’ll be out of the way. All in all, this is a simple but very handy model that is well worth your time and attention.
- It’s made of durable steel from top to bottom and will last for many years to come
- A straight up front loading design with no frills or surprises
- Weighs 12 pounds and can store puppies of up to 25 pounds
- Total dimensions are 25.3 x 19 x 4 inches
- Designed to house a single small puppy. If you have more than one, you’ll need another crate
- A bit pricy as compared to some of the other models on this list
New World Folding Metal Dog Crate
The New World Folding Metal Dog Crate is a joy to use. It’s a real boon for medium dog size owners who need to bring their four legged friend along for the trip. I recommend it for users who prefer a simple, folding design for increased portability and easy storage. The crate quickly folds up into a handy storage size and can packed away in a closet or anywhere else you choose.
I should also add that the single door design allows you to keep tabs on your pet during the trip. You can easily pass them snacks through the bars to keep them happy or hand them their favorite toy to keep them occupied. You can also keep the crate in your living room to give your dog a safe, secure place to get some sleep or privacy whenever the need may arise.
- Total dimensions are 30L x 19W x 21H inches
- Excellent for small to medium size breeds anywhere from 26 to 40 pounds
- Total weight is 17.8 pounds
- Folding design increases its portability and makes for quick and convenient storage
- One of the pricier models on this list, although still very affordable for all but the most budget-conscious buyers
- Waranty is only for a year