Are you still searching for the ultimate tough and indestructible kennel? As a longtime show dog owner, I’ve used many dog crates in the past. These crates are indispensable, not only for transporting my dogs to shows but also to give them a safe and secure place to relax in.
As such, I’ve become an expert on dog crates, particularly those that are marketed as heavy-duty, strong, and indestructible. I’ve tried many a kennel in my time and I’m here to give you the rundown on which ones are the very best. I’m well aware that there are plenty of fly by night manufacturers hawking inferior products, so I’m only going to list my personal favorite and a few choice runner ups.
I’ve assembled a list of the heavy duty, reliably strong and indestructible kennel candidates for you to choose from. Many of these are among the best dog crates, and they are truly of the cream of the crop. If you’re ready to get started, read on.
My #1 Recommended Heavy Duty Dog Crate
When it comes to finding a truly adaptable and indestructible dog kennel, my number one choice on this list is the brand new ProSelect Empire. I make this choice advisedly. This is the kennel that performs at its best under the most stressful conditions.
I’m not saying you should put it to this kind of test on a regular basis. However, it’s nice to know that the ProSelect Empire is built to take the maximum stress while keeping your dog completely safe, warm, and secure. For this reason and quite a few others, I can definitely recommend the ProSelect Empire as the top choice for discerning dog kennel buyers.
However, there are a number of very important qualities that you should also be looking for when buying a dog crate. For this reason, I’ve listed a few quality runner ups that are also very worthy of your time and attention. You may even prefer one of them to my own number one choice.
- This strong and indestructible kennel is made with 20 gauge steel, reinforced with 0.5 inch steel tubes
- Generously sized at 35.75 inches x 23.5 inches with 24.5 inches of height. A larger model is also available
- Removable floor grate allows you to keep the kennel clean at all times
- Removable casters allow you to transport the cage with ease
The ProSelect Empire is the number one strong and indestructible kennel on my list for a number of reasons, some of which have been outlined above. When it comes to durability, you certainly can’t argue with 20 gauge steel. When you need to keep the crate clean, a removable floor grate will make things much simpler and easier.
Portability is also an issue. A kennel for a large dog is not exactly the world’s lightest object. The included removable casters make it easy to move the crate around your house or on to a waiting van for transport. For all of these reasons, the ProSelect Empire definitely gets my vote for the number one dog crate on this list.
Even with all of the advantages that the ProSelect Empire undoubtedly possesses, there may be other dog crates that are equally, or even more so, desirable to other buyers. There are certainly a great many strong and indestructible dog crates available on the market, some of the best of which are on this list. With that being said, there are also a lot of fakes. You’ll be happy to note that none of them are included here.
For example, if you feel that certain features, such as caster wheels or extra large size, are less desirable than an affordable price or a more simple construction, some of these runner ups may possess far more appeal for you. I’ll certainly understand if you prefer one of these other models to my own favorite. In any case, it may be wise to check out a few of these runner ups in order to give them a fair hearing in public.
First on my present list of runner ups is the LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Cage. This model comes complete with a wide range of features, many of which are similar to those you will find on the ProSelect Empire. However, there are also some important differences that the astute buyer would do well to take full notice of. These are mainly differences in construction and user intention rather than anything major.
For example, the LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Cage is designed to place a higher value on the immediate security of medium to larger dogs. It comes with a specially designed double door and locking caster feature that is intended to keep your dog safely and securely inside the unit during storage. The unit is likewise made of very heavy gauge steel that ensures that, once inside, your precious cargo won’t be getting into trouble.
- Overall dimensions are 41.5″L X 30.5″W X 37″H
- Sliding plastic floor tray allows for quick and easy cleaning
- Caster wheels are included for easy transportation
- Easily assembled in a matter of minutes with included hardware
- Total weight of 73 pounds may be a bit much for some dog owners to handle by themselves
- Comes in several different sizes and weights so you need to be very specific about which size you are ordering
- Floor tray can only go inside at the bottom of the cage, not underneath
SMONSTER Heavy Duty Dog Crate
If you’re really in the market for a strong and indestructible dog crate, the new model from SMONSTER may be just the ticket. For others, its sheer bulk and heavy gauge steel construction may be a bit of overkill. One thing is for sure: This crate is big, spacious, and virtually escape-proof. If your large dog is something of a jailbreak specialist, this is the crate that has been designed to foil their best efforts.
As mentioned above, this particular crate is made of extremely heavy steel for a strong and indestructible result. It also comes with the standard set of features that you would expect from a heavy dog crate for larger breeds. One feature that you may notice and be grateful for is the included set of caster wheels. This is an absolute must for a unit of this size and bulk. You may also notice that it is a bit pricy.
- Generously sized at a total of 41.5″L X 30.5″W X 37″H
- Includes a full-sized plastic floor tray to facilitate quick and easy cleaning
- Caster wheels make transportation a quick and easy matter
- Crate is guaranteed with a full warranty of quality for a period of up to 3 years
- May be a bit pricier than some of the other models on this list
- A total weight of 82 pounds may make this a hard sell for some owners
- Slide latch security feature may be a bit clunky for some owners
The Gelinzon is a heavy duty dog crate that should catch the attention of anyone interested in the long term safety of their pet during transport. It comes with a specially patented twin lock design, complete with safety buckles. This is a unique arrangement that has been perfected in order to prevent your dog from opening the door and running off. The design is easy to master by even the most inexperienced owner.
The Gelinzon also comes with a variety of other features that are designed to make it an especially strong and indestructible model. The single door in front has been reinforced with heavy gauge steel piping. Meanwhile, the locking casters keep the unit portable so that you won’t break your back lifting this heavy duty crate. For its price, this is a reliable unit that has a wealth of handy features to offer you.
- Generously sized with total dimensions of 45″L X 30.5″W X 37″H
- Interior height of 32″H
- Caster wheels included for maximum portability
- Heavy gauge steel design with metal pipe spacing of 2″
- Wheels can sometimes break, causing issues with portability. However, the model is covered with a full warranty by the maker
- Unit is relatively easy to assemble and disassemble, but not as easy as some of the others on this list
- Definitely meant for use by larger, rather than smaller, breeds of dogs
The ITORI model is very securely built. It features an interlocking grid of heavy gauge steel that is specially reinforced to prevent even the smartest and strongest dogs from escaping. It’s also one of the largest crates on this list, albeit one of the heaviest as well. Its double door design is extra handy not only for securing your dog but also for interacting with them. You can feed them treats to keep them calm.
The ITORI Heavy Duty Metal Dog Cage is an excellent model for training your large dogs to remain happily and securely in place even when they are not in transit. It also doubles as an excellent place for them to seek privacy or rest. This is a function that is especially handy when there are strangers, children, or other dogs about. Of course, it’s made of heavy steel in order to ensure a smooth and very safe journey.
- Complete dimensions are 42.52″L x 29.92″W x 34.64″H
- Covered by the maker with a 30 month warranty
- Includes rotating caster wheels to improve portability
- Comes with the standard floor pan to make cleaning a quick and easy task
- Total weight of 83.6 pounds makes the Itori one of the heavier crates on this list
- Crate can be partially, but not completely, collapsed for storage
- Caster wheels do have a tendency to lock at awkward times when the unit is rolled around on the carpet
If you need a heavy duty dog crate for breeds up to a total weight of 176 pounds, the new Sliverylake will definitely fit the bill. It’s a top loading dog crate that is made of specially reinforced heavy steel for a secure transport. Thanks to this special top loading feature, your dog will have an extra hard time escaping from the crate unless they get the specific urge to jump straight up in the air to do so.
The Sliverylake dog crate comes with the standard range of features, including a set of 4 caster wheels, 2 of which are lockable. This will ensure that the cage will not move around on the truck during transport. The cage is completely transparent and penetrable so that you can monitor the condition of your pet at all times. You can reach through the bars in order to reassure them and even feed them a timely treat.
- Overall dimensions of 48.8″(L) x 33″(W) x 37″ (H) make this one of the largest crates on this list
- Top door dimensions are measured out at a total of 27.4″ (H) x 18.9″ (W)
- Four caster wheels for easy transport
- Double door design for front and top insertion of pet
- Total weight of 83.2lbs does make this one of the heaviest models on this list
- Locks are strong but not as completely invulnerable as some of the other models on this list
- Some customers have reported issues with the removable plastic floor pan that is included for cleaning purposes
There are plenty of different types of heavy duty dog crates out there on the market. Many dog owners prefer to buy a crate that operates in the simplest possible fashion, i.e., with a one door front loading design. If you’re of a mind to keep things simple while also keeping your dog secure, the new Haige Pet dog crate may be the perfect model for your needs. This is one dog crate that will never leave you at a loss.
Of course, simplicity should never be mistaken for weakness. The Haige Pet dog crate is fully loaded with a wide range of options that may be able to please even the most finicky customer. Its twin lock design, complete with steel gauge safety buckles, will keep your dog from escaping. It’s a large enough crate to store one very large dog or two medium dogs. Simply insert a separate divider in order to safely multi-task.
- Comes with included hardware pack for easy assemble
- 4 360-degree rotating casters allows for easy transport
- Front loading door keeps things simple and easy to organize
- Full dimensions of the crate are a very generous 45″L X 30.5″W X 37″H
- Lock is sturdy but can sometimes be jostled open by a smart dog. Adding a separate counterweight may be necessary
- Unit is fully collapsible for storage but may be too heavy to transport in this condition
- Unit does tend to be a bit pricier than many similar models
The HYD-Parts dog crate is an excellent mid-range choice for large dog owners. It’s not quite as hulking as some of the other models on this list. For this reason alone, some buyers may prefer it. It does come with 4 caster wheels to provide for easy portability. While it isn’t quite ideal for the very largest XXL breeds, it can easily handle medium and large dogs, keeping them safe and secure within its bars.
As mentioned above, the HYD-Parts is a bit smaller than most of the crates that I have chosen to list here. However, this doesn’t mean that I consider it to be fatally lightweight. On the contrary, this crate gets major points for portability and overall compactness. Its double door design gives you two choices of access that are both securely locked with a specially designed twin steel latch system for added security.
- A very generous set of overall dimensions:36″L X 24″W X 29″H
- Removable metal floor pan allows for easy cleaning
- 4 included caster wheels keep the crate easy to move around your home and on to the moving van
- Double door loading feature allows you easier access to your pet
- Unit is definitely meant for small, medium, and large dogs, not for XL or XXL breeds. Make sure you understand this before ordering
- Caster wheels are included but may be a bit less resilient on this model than some of the others on this list
- Floor pan is made of metal, rather than plastic, which may be an inconvenience for some buyers
The JY QAQA is an excellent new metal dog crate that features a spacious, fully modern steel gauge bar design. The bars are reinforced with steel tubing but are set far enough apart so that you can easily monitor your dog’s condition and also reward them for their patience with a few snacks. The cage itself is sturdily constructed so as to survive routine wear and tear while keeping your four legged friend completely safe.
Keeping the crate clean is never a problem. This unit comes with a fully removable metal pan and floor grate. This allows you to simply remove the pan, wash it clean, and replace it in time for your dog’s next watering and feeding. Meanwhile, the entire crate can be moved from place to place on a set of 4 included casters. For owners of medium to large dogs, the JY QAQA is a bargain priced model worthy of notice.
- 4 caster wheels allow for easy transportation to and from your destination
- Removable floor pan and grate make cleaning an easy experience
- Total dimensions are 42.52″L x 29.92″W x 34.64″H
- The JY QAQA is backed with a full warranty of guaranteed quality from the manufacturer
- A total weight of 83.6 pounds makes this one of the very heaviest crates on my list
- Even though the crate is very heavy, it’s really only intended for medium to large breeds, nothing over 90 pounds
- Interior space is a bit more limited than some of the other models that I have listed here
The new dog crate from Parpet is one of the best designed runner ups on my present list. It’s made of 20 gauge reinforced steel with 0.5 inch steel bars for support. The bars are spaced nice and wide so that you can quickly ascertain the condition and mood of your dog during the trip. The crate is coated with a powder finish so that there won’t be any rough edges for your dog to scrape up against in case of a spill.
The Parpet dog crate is especially recommended for small, medium, and large breeds, rather than XXL. However, for its size, it offers a very comfortable level of accommodation for your pet. The front loading door makes it easy to pass your dog in and out of the cage for easy storage during your move. The Parpet dog crate also comes with all of the standard features you’ve come to expect from a professional model.
- Generously sized for small to large dogs at a total of 35.4 x 23.7 x 24.3 inches
- Comes with a high quality metal tray for easy cleaning
- Made of high grade 20 gauge steel for extra durability
- 4 caster wheels give you added mobility over most surfaces
- Not as roomy inside as you would think from its solid construction
- Total weight of 70 pounds makes it one of the lighter models on this list but at the cost of being able to store XL and XXL breeds
- Caster wheels are included but have been known to encounter mobility issues, especially on carpet
If you’re ready to own a supremely heavy and very well constructed dog cage, the new Walcut model may be the premier runner up on my present list. The Walcut weighs in at over 80 pounds and is solidly constructed of the finest and heaviest gauge steel. As a result, the included 4 caster wheels are a definite blessing. One thing is for sure: Once this particular dog crate model is loaded on to the van, it will stay there.
Of course, the Walcut has more features than sheer bulk to recommend it. Although the steel used is sturdy and heavy, the bars are spaced wide enough apart for you to be easily able to monitor the condition of your dog at all times. The present model has definitely been designed with the largest dog breeds in mind, including the Shepherd, Husky, Great Dane, Mastiff, and others. If you like ’em large, this crate is for you.
- One of the best runner ups on my list for XL and XXL breeds
- Includes 4 caster wheels, without which this unit would be practically immobile without a crane
- If you want steel and more steel, this is the crate to own
- Removable floor pan lets you keep the crate nice and clean at all times
- See above. It’s heavy. For some users, it will seem even heavier than its actual weight of 83.2 pounds
- The caster wheels are handy but can tend to buckle under the sheer weight of steel that they are called upon to support
- Unit is definitely built to last but may be a bit pricier than comparable models. However, you’ll get your money’s worth when it comes to durability
The new Homey Pets top loading dog crate is a great bargain priced model for pet owners who may be currently on a somewhat limited budget. As runner ups on my list go, the Homey Pet gives you all that you need and even a bit more. It comes complete with the above mentioned top loading access point as well as a door on the side for extra convenience. It’s handily made of good quality steel and is quite attractive looking.
Perhaps the most notable feature of the new Home Pet model is its stackable nature. You can indeed stack two or three units on top of each other although, naturally, if you’re doing so on a moving vehicle, you’ll need to take care to secure them properly. When it comes to storing these units at your home, their stackable nature will certainly come in handy. This is a feature not many other crates on this list share.
- Stack ’em up as high as you want to – they’re built for that very purpose
- Total measurements work out to L37″xW22″xH31″
- Heavy steel construction means the unit is sturdy
- Even though the crate is securely made, it still totals out at a shipping weight of only 52 pounds
- The included 4 casters are lockable but a bit iffy on carpet surfaces
- Top and front door openings are convenient but the latches may need readjusting or supplementing after a while
- Even with its very charming and useful advantages, this crate is still very much a budget model and shouldn’t be considered as a long term alternative to heavier gauge dog crates
The new SmithBuilt Heavy-Duty Dog Crate Cage is a latecomer to my list. I only found about it recently while transporting some of my dogs to an out of state show. I made use of this crate on short notice and was very satisfied with its performance. It’s a two door model that opens at the front or at the top. Both entry points are fortified with heavy steel gauge latches to provide total safety and security for your dog.
As its name implies, it’s a fully sized heavy duty unit that is perfect for storing XL and XXL breeds. As a natural byproduct, it’s also quite heavy and thus comes with a handy set of caster wheels to enhance its portability. Its multi-layer hammer-tone coating is very resistant to rust, making this one of the best candidates on this list for use as an outdoor storage crate. All in all, the SmithBuilt is a worthy model.
- Very generously sized with total dimensions of48″ L x 33″ W x 37″ H
- Heavy gauge steel construction reinforced with commercial-level steel tubing for the bars
- Comes equipped with heavy duty steel casters to keep the unit portable
- Includes a rust-resistant floor plate for quick and easy cleaning
- Shipping weight of 106 pounds, making it one of the heaviest crates on this list
- Even with its heavy build, the latches may need some extra securing after a few months of use
- Locking casters are a definite plus. However, with its sheer bulk, you may still have trouble rolling this crate over all but the smoothest surfaces
KELIXU has just released its new Heavy Duty Dog Crate. True to its name, this crate is made of the strongest tempered and high gauge quality steel. It’s an excellent choice for owners of small to large dogs to consider. It comes with all of the expected dog crate features and even manages to pack the odd surprise or two. For example, its front door access allows you to keep tabs on your dog during the whole of the ride.
While this feature may not surprise you at first, consider this: many dog crate models, even the ones on my present list, feature dual door loading that can be quite confusing for your dog and also present a bit of a security risk. However, this model keeps it smooth and simple by including just the one front door with a specially reinforced steel latch. As such, its simplicity may appeal to many of my readers.
- As noted above, single front loading door keeps it simple and secure
- The latest model contains an updated lock that makes the crate more escape-proof than ever before
- Total dimensions of 37.5″L X 25.5″W X 32″H make it an excellent choice to house small to large dogs
- Comes with a full warranty from the manufacturer
- You need to be sure to specify that you are ordering the latest model (the one on this list) so that you will receive the updated locking system
- Folds down with relative ease but be aware that the unit still weighs a solid 59.5 pounds
- Crate is definitely not meant for XL or XXL breeds
Another excellent choice for mid-sized to large dogs is the PUPZO dog crate. This model is a great option for budget-minded buyers who are looking for a good solid dog crate to keep their pets safe in. Its solid heavy gauge steel construction makes it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. It’s easy to assemble, with all of the necessary hardware included. It can be set up, ready to use, within a few minutes.
The PUPZO dog crate is actually one of the smaller models on my list. For this reason, it’s probably best for short trips involving larger dogs. Of course, it will work just fine for medium to large dogs on longer trips, such as a moving excursion. The steel bars are spaced just widely enough apart for you to keep a solid eye on your pet the entire way. You can even feed them the occasional snack to keep their spirits up.
- For the price, you get generous overall measurements of 36.61″ x 24.4″ x 28.7″
- The floor grate comes with a removable tray that will allow you to keep the cage clean and free of stains and odors
- Heavy gauge steel construction. Steel pipes are measured at 0.78″ x 0.78″ x 0.031″
- Steel construction is rust-resistant, thus making this an excellent crate for outdoor as well as indoor use
- The floor of this model is bare wire. It’s a good idea for you to cover it with newspaper or a handy blanket
- Caster wheels are included but are a bit on the chintzy side. Be careful when moving across open land or grass
- Interior space should be enough for your dog to move around comfortably in. If they are a large to XL breed, it will be a good idea to get their measurements before you consider buying this model
The solid steel dog crate from TONYRENA is an excellent mid-sized model for medium to large dogs. It comes with all of the expected trimmings, including a full set of caster wheels to ease movement around the house and in and off your vehicle. Its steel construction means that it is virtually escape-proof and also usable out of doors as well as inside your home. Plus, it’s priced right for the dog owner on a budget.
I must say that I find the TONYRENA to be an excellent choice for beginning dog crate owners. Its very simple double door and locking caster design are easy enough for you to get the hang of keeping your dog safe during movement. Assembling this dog crate is also a matter of extreme simplicity. You can use the included hardware to set the crate up within the space of a very few minutes. All in all, it’s a worthy buy.
- Includes a standard sized floor pan for easy cleanup
- Generously sized with dimensions of 42.5″L X 30″W X 34.4″H
- Made with specially treated heavy gauge steel to keep the unit free from rust and corrosion
- Priced very reasonably for the needs of the dog owner on a budget
- Folds down to a handy and storable size but will still weigh a substantial amount
- Interior space is somewhat less expansive than some of the other models on my list
- Priced to satisfy the needs of the beginning or intermediate dog owner but may not hold up as long as some of the other models listed here
The AINFOX Heavy Duty Metal Dog Crate is definitely one of the most durable and spacious dog crates on this list. In many ways, this particular model is my favorite of the runner ups, second only to the ProSelect Empire as my number one choice. For this reason, the AINFOX unit bears special attention on the part of discerning dog crate buyers. In many more ways than one, this unit really is the pick of the litter.
For example, all of the units on my list give a more or less generous amount of space for your dog to get comfy in. However, among all of the runner ups on my list, the AINFOX model has the most – and even more importantly, most comfortable – interior space. Combine this sheer roominess with plenty of state of the art features, including a double door system and improved caster wheels, and you have a winner.
- Double door locking system is the most advanced and secure of all of the runner ups on this list
- New, improved caster wheels ensure a smooth transit over nearly any surface
- Overall dimensions are 42″L X29″W X 37″ H
- Interior roominess is second to none among the runner ups on my list
- Even though the unit is almost totally collapsible to save space, it’s still quite bulky
- At a package weight of 92.4 pounds, it will definitely take some hefting to assemble
- Bottom of the unit is bare metal grating, requiring you to place a newspaper or blanket inside to ensure your dog’s comfort
The DOIT Heavy Duty Dog Cage is the last item on my present list. Its front door locking mechanism is strong enough to keep your dog from chewing their way out. The latch locking system is likewise durable enough to stay intact through many attempts on the part of your pet to escape the crate. If you’re looking for a very reasonably priced dog crate for medium to small dogs, the new DOIT is well worth your attention.
This particular dog crate has been specially designed to meet the needs of dog owners who have pets with a propensity for chewing their way out of crates. With its special design making the most modern use of 0.8 mm phosphated steel, the maker guarantees that this particular model will keep even the most determined dog safe and comfy inside. You can contact the maker to get more info concerning this special feature.
- As mentioned above, the special phosphated steel blend will definitely stand up to even the toughest degree of punishment
- Newly expanded dimensions of 42″(L) x 29″(W) x 37″ (H)
- Includes removable floor tray for easy inspection and cleaning
- Includes 4 caster wheels to keep the crate moving smoothly over nearly any surface
- Shipping weight of 92 pounds makes this one a candidate for heavy lifting, even with the included caster wheels
- Definitely designed for medium to large dogs. Not recommended for XL or XXL breeds
- Double door design may require an extra latch to keep completely sealed and secure