This article may contain affiliate links, and we may be compensated for qualifying purchases made after clicking on them.
Alternative foods are quickly gaining popularity among dog owners, especially because of the concern about the quality of ingredients and the focus on how food is related to the pet’s health. This realization has led to the emphasis on fresh dog food. It has also led to the emergence of fresh food subscription or delivery services, including everything from whole grains and lean proteins to vegetables.
These companies have teams of veterinarians on standby whose task is to ensure the food produced is human-grade and meets the AAFCO standards for pet food. They are also available to craft different customized meal plans according to different types of dogs and their requirements. For example, a small dog with cancer or a sensitive eater will need a different diet than a larger dog that is less picky and healthy.
Several pet owners who have switched to the best dog food delivery service offering fresh, custom pet meals have indicated the move has yielded benefits like better energy levels, improved health conditions, and a better coat. A few fresh food subscription brands have stood out amongst the others in providing convenient, quality fresh dog food.
Best Fresh Dog Food for 2022
There are many excellent fresh pet meal brands today and what may work for your dog my not work for another. It all still depends on your dog’s needs, however, for us, we found A Pup Above the best fresh dog food supplier in the market due to the organic ingredients and the healthy sous-vide cooking technique which retains the richness of the food.
Our Favorite: A Pup Above
- It is uniquely positioned among the competitors within their space because they usually cook the food using sous vide approaches.
- No subscription is also required, adding flexibility and the chance to try a recipe before making a lengthy commitment.
- The packaging may not be as convenient as other fresh dog foods alternatives.
It is one of the best fresh dog food options due to the versatility and subscription-based service on demand and in-store availability. There is a slow cooking method that allegedly preserves the amount of nutrients in the food as opposed to the standard cooking methods. This cooking approach is popularized in high-end restaurants and is claimed to help the food retain more taste and nutrients. The platform also puts their AAFCO balanced products into vacuum-sealed bags and cooks them in a 180-degree bath. It is for a good reason, especially since most dogs find the food palatable as they love the taste of these recipes.
The other thing that stands apart with A Pup Above is easy serving. Each bag has individual one-pound patties for a meal. A pup above is an option for owners who want to use fresh dog food as a topping for the homemade dog food.
>> Check out our in-depth A Pup Above review <<
Research Prioritization on Food Quality: Just Food for Dogs
- Just food for dogs also emphasizes quality as their items are designed by a team of canine nutritionists made with some of the best ingredients.
- They are known for providing a variety of food types from pantry fresh to veterinary support and even frozen meals.
- Just food for dogs is also easy to try for recurring shipments or subscriptions.
- The brand’s recipes are also backed by a 100 percent money-back guarantee.
- Just Food for Dogs does not have a flexible delivery service for customers.
Just Food for Dogs is one of the most popular fresh dog in the market. The brand is also a leader in empirical dog nutrition research and has conducted systemic feeding trials on the daily canine recipes. Some options include fish, lamb, chicken, white rice, beef liver, and venison. However, Just food for dogs does not offer variety packs or any way to mix and match recipes. The full-box shipping is eco-friendly though it imposes some minor quantity issues.
>> Check out our in-depth Just Food For Dogs review <<
Great Customer Support: Nom Nom
- Nom Nom has a very easy-to-use system, entailing space-friendly packaging and portioned out by meal.
- The ingredients are also human-grade, and the recipes are not commercialized, thereby indicating attention to customer details.
- The food is also very palatable for dogs, so it would be easy to give these meals for those who are picky.
- It is not as customizable as other fresh dog foods.
- Single serving may not be as eco-friendly as other dog food alternatives.
Some of the Nom Nom features include meals that are specifically catered to the individual needs of the pet. The team considers factors such as weight, age, and overall condition. Every meal is custom-made to the right standards by a board-certified veterinarian and nutrition expert. Like other premium subscribers, many meal plan options are available via the subscription service, including feeding them a mix of the pup’s food and Nom Nom. There are many discounts as well which are available to the customers so they can reduce the prices of the dog food.
>> Check out our in-depth Nom Nom Dog Food review <<
Great Subscription Packages: The Farmer’s Dog
- The packaging is also biodegradable, so you can melt away the cornstarch wrap.
- Each meal is also made in a USDA-approved kitchen with solely human-grade ingredients as well.
- The disadvantage of this platform is that the portioning process may be a bit messy.
- It is also challenging to find information concerning the brand’s site without completing an entire questionnaire.
It is one of the best subscription-based fresh dog food companies that brings the items to your doorstep in ready-to-serve and biodegradable packages. The Farmer’s dog is also a good option for dogs with sensitive tummies, so they are not necessarily motivated by dry food. The Farmer’s dog is one of those fresh dog foods that make the feeding process joyful.
The instructions are also easy to follow, and it is reassuring as well to see the dog’s name on the individual food packs as a personalized touch. All farmer’s dog recipes are approved by a veterinary nutritionist, as well, to make sure the dog’s diet is complete.
>> Check out our in-depth The Farmer’s Dog review <<
Various Forms of Fresh Dog Food: Freshpet
- It has convenient access, so you can purchase it in grocery and pet stores.
- The platform also utilizes a variety of quality fresh ingredients which do not have to be frozen.
- You can get various forms of dog food like vacuum-sealed bagged meals, meat rolls, and single-serve containers.
- It is only available in small quantities
- It is costly
Freshpet is another top-tier fresh dog food delivery supplier offered in the big box and pet stores in the United States. Though, even though Freshpet meals contain fresh dog like other offerings, they give do it in bigger batches. That means you may be unable to customize it appropriately to suit the dog’s needs. You may not also have to spend as much on dog food as well, due to the economical options provided. A six-pound roll goes for about $12, which for a medium-sized dog would be $2.20 daily.
Freshpet also has several lines covering dietary concerns, such as Freshpet Select, Vital, and Nature’s Fresh. Select is the largest line giving six combinations in the roll form, four in the form of a bag, and two single-serve stews. Vital, on the other hand, is an all-natural type designed to be as close to natural as possible. Nature’s fresh, though, is a locally sourced line that is GAP certified, affording five roll formulas and two bagged chicken alternatives.
>> Check out our in-depth Freshpet Dog Food review <<
Grain Free Options for Sensitive Pets: PetPlate
- They are made in small batches and fresh frozen foods to prevent them from going bad when shipped.
- Yogurt-type containers with resealable lids, so it is easy to save the rest after servings
- All fresh dog food is also designed by a veterinary nutritionist and made with human-grade ingredients.
- Lack of dog food samples
- Customers must sign up for a subscription to buy dog food.
PetPlate is also a fresh dog food delivery alternative for those owners who want high-quality well preserved dog foods shipped from approved facilities. These foods also defrost quite easily as a ready-to-eat meal. What sets PetPlate apart is the yogurt-type containers with resealable lids, so it is easy to save the rest after servings. It is also easy to use as the feeding guidelines for the dog are printed on the label. The meal plan for the dog is set according to the health and individual requirements such as the body condition and the level of activity to ensure they maintain the right way level .
As for ordering, every meal is sold as part of a subscription service, and there are four menu items. These include beef, chicken, turkey, and lamb, meaning the fresh dog food options are primarily protein. When it comes to packaging, the insulation for these was made with recycled bottles, and depending on where one lives; it is also recyclable.
The ground-up texture of the food also makes it hard for those picky eaters to be selective towards avoiding the ingredients. PetPlate’s Topper Plan also gives the owners a good way to advance the meal’s taste and palatability. The trouble with this platform is the lack of dog food samples. You also must sign up for a subscription to buy the food.
>> Check out our in-depth PetPlate Review <<
Ethical Sourcing: Open Farm
- Open Farm is also an excellent fresh food producer with several standards such as sustainability, ethical sourcing, and nutrition.
- The platform sources its ingredients from family farms that utilize humane farming approaches.
- Open harm has stringent methods of regularly auditing farms to make sure they meet the strict animal welfare standards.
- It is costly
Open Farm is a great option for fresh dog food delivery, considering the range of recipes. If your dog has trouble chewing dry dog food, Open Farm is the way to go as they give wet food options known as stew.
The Open Farm meal plan has seven different protein sources that may be contained like beef, chicken, turkey, fish, lamb, and venison. There are also fruits and vegetables to give those nutrients that would not be available from the meat protein. All the vegetables are locally sourced and non-GMO, so you don’t have to worry about long-term issues.
The recipes also meet the AAFCO standards, and the ingredients are human grade. There is also a wide range of protein selection for all the dog types. Apparently, the only downside with Open Farm dog food is the associated cost of the packages. Though, you should expect high-quality dog food utilizing human-grade AAFCO-approved products. That being said, some types of Open Farm products are typically cheaper and provide a better value for others.
>> Check out our in-depth Open Farm Dog Food review <<
Benefits of Fresh Dog Food
Fresh dog food is one of the best dietary changes you can offer your dog, especially if they have been weaned on an unhealthy diet for a significant period. Besides the basic understanding of fresh foods being better than processed foods, there are several proven advantages. For one, more energy is derived from fresh food options because they are highly digestible. Many fresh food options have vitamin A which gives brighter or healthier eyes. If your dog also suffers from allergies or any skin condition, fresh food is one of the natural remedies. It is because nutrients like zinc and vitamin B in fresh dog food diets help soothe and treat the skin conditions in dogs. Another advantage dog owners would love to hear is fewer trips to the vet. It is because the best fresh dog foods comes chock full of immune system-building vitamins and proteins. These improve strength and healing properties. Fresh food is also great for dogs with chronic conditions like allergies and skin irritation.
Does Your Dog Need Fresh Food?
Your pet food regime may need to change significantly if the dog exhibits signs indicating a poor diet. Though, these decisions need to be done in conjunction with the considerations of the veterinarian. Some of the signs include a dull and flaky coat. Diets with essential fatty acids are essential to your dog’s health. They are also a determinant of overall health, which is illustrated in the coat. If your dog has a dull coat, it indicates malnutrition and could be a sign to divert to fresh pet food. Likewise, weakness also indicates that the dog needs to change its diet. Consistent lethargy means the dog is not getting the nutrients it needs, so it would be advisable to try something different, and what better way than changing to fresh foods.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do vets recommend fresh dog food?
Vets recommend feeding pets the right amount of animal and lean protein; however, the American Veterinary Medical Association opposes the unregulated feeding of raw food.
What is the number one healthiest canned dog food?
The best fresh dog food recommended by vets, including ‘The Farmer’s Dog,’ ‘K9 Natural Beef’, and ‘Solid Gold Barking.’
Which fresh dog food is most affordable?
The best fresh dog food which is also cheap is Just Food for Dogs as the meals start at $5.95, and customers can save 35% on the first transaction.