While you may feel guilty about it, crate training is an essential part of your canine’s life. Dogs are pack animals naturally and feel more secure in a den-like structure. As a result, dog crates and kennels offer the comfort of a den and make your pet comfortable. Adding a crate cover to the design even brings more privacy and comfort effects. If you’re thinking of how to make a dog crate cover, this article answers your questions.
What is a Dog Crate Cover?
It’s anything that you can use as a shield over a kennel. You can make it from any material, including cardboard, sheets, or blankets. However, consider materials that allow for breathability to avoid suffocating your dog.
Why Are Crate Covers Important?
Crates offer your dog the comfort of a den and a place to hide in times of emergencies. Similarly, the kennel helps your dog deal with anxiety and a great place for your pup to recover after surgery. The enclosure created by dog crate covers boost the safe-zone comforts and raises their confidence.
Why Should You Make a Dog Crate Cover at Home?
A DIY dog crate cover comes with several benefits. First, it’s a great way to feed your enthusiasts if you enjoy experimenting and practicing skills. Again, it’s cheaper and offers more variations. Here are other reasons to consider.
- It’s easy to make- You don’t have to be a sewing machine expert to pull it out. You only need to grasp a few easy steps, and your DIY dog crate cover will be unique and professional.
- Less expensive– Most store covers start from $20. However, the fabric you’ll need to make a dog crate cover at home will most likely cost you between $2 and $ 5, depending on the type. Again, you can decide to use an old textile that you no longer need.
- Customizable and Stylish- Ready-made crate covers may not have the personalization and styling you desire. However, a DIY dog crate cover gives you the comfort of playing around with styles and designs to come up with what you prefer.
- Making a dog crate at home offers you the opportunity to measure and create a structure that fits your needs in size and dimensions.
- There are several variations- It’s not necessary to have sewing machine knowledge as there are several no-sew methods you can use, like fabric glue and no-sew tape.
How To Make a Dog Crate Cover at Home
Items you’ll need
- Tape measure
- Fabric glue (optional)
- A brown craft paper (A roll is enough)
- Sewing machine or needle and thread that match your material
- Fabric pencil or vanishing fabric marker (you can also use a piece of chalk)
- Pinking shears (leaves a finished edge and stops it from unraveling).
Choosing a Fabric
Fabric is the most critical material in this process. As a result, you need to pay more attention to the type you’re going to use. However, don’t stress over it, as you can also use an old sheet, quilt, or non-fuzzy comforter you no longer have at home. However, ensure that it’s still strong enough for the task. If you’re purchasing new fabric, here are factors to consider.
- Choose the right size- Crates come in different sizes, depending on your dog’s mass. As a result, you may need to measure your dog’s crate to come up with the right size for your dog’s crate cover. After getting the measurements, add at least one and a half extra yards of fabric to cater for sewing and errors. Here’s a complete guide to dog crate sizes.
- Consider washable textile- You’ll need to keep the crate cover clean so get a material that you’ll easily wash if it catches dirt.
- Avoid shiny and stretching materials- They’re often challenging to sew. As a result, it’s safer to avoid them unless you’re a pro at dealing with such clothes.
- Consider weight and season- Your dog’s comfort is central, and you may want to consider the season when choosing a fabric. Check out fleece or corduroy during winter, and go for the cotton summer season.
- Styling and color- Your dog’s crate shouldn’t clash with your home’s color theme and style, especially if it’s in a section of your room. You can also consider deco fabrics to match the room‘s decorative pattern.
Marking and Cutting Fabric
- Wash, dry, and iron your fabric before you begin working. That way, any shrinkage that may occur later and inconvenience your cover will take place, and your material will most probably maintain its size.
- Think of how close you want your cover to hang on the crate. An inch off is a reasonable consideration as it doesn’t sweep to the floor or come on your way when cleaning. However, it’s a personal choice, so go as far as you desire.
- Measure the crate to know how much material you’ll require. You may start with the top, measuring from the front going back, and then the sides running from top to bottom, and finish with the back.
- Mark your measurements on the paper roll and join with dotted lines.
- Lay and pin the pattern on your material.
- Draw a line on the fabric around the pattern using a marker or chalk. Remember to add 1.5″ (for soft cloth) and up to 2″ (on heavy materials) on your measurements for seam allowance. Also, start cutting after measuring all the pieces you’ll need (front, back, two sides, and top).
- Cut the fabric on the lines using pinking shears.
- Pin the pieces to each other, inside out.
- Glue or sew the seams of side pieces to the top panel on their respective sides.
- Continue sewing the other seams into place (for the front part, you may consider only sewing the top of the fabric to attach it to the upper panel so it rolls up and secures into place.
- Turn your cover right side out and slip over your dog’s crate.
If you’re not good with sewing, you can consider fabric glue or no-sew tape. Similarly, you can substitute some textiles with mesh panels to make the cover more breathable and stylish. If you are a fun fanatic, you can try personalizing your crate cover with an applique of your pup’s name or attach its breed. Homemade crate covers are stylish and comfortable when in travel cages and use at home.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use to cover my dog crate?
You can use a dog crate cover. Either buy one at your nearest store or learn how to make a dog crate cover and construct yours at home.
How much fabric is enough for a crate cover?
The size of fabric you need for your depends on the crate size. You’ll need to measure your dog’s kennel on both sides, top and front, to decide the correct measurement of fabric. Also, remember to get an extra one or one-and-half yards of cloth to take care of errors and seam allowances.
How do you cover a crate with a fabric?
You can use a fabric to make a dog crate cover by sewing or gluing it to fit the kennel and sliding it over the crate. However, ensure that you measure the box to know what size of fabric you’ll need.
Is it good to cover your dog’s cover?
Yes. Dogs are pack animals naturally and feel better and safer inside dens. Adding a cover on your dog’s crate helps in creating the den-like feel and builds their confidence. Thus, assisting them in dealing with anxiety and fears in emergencies or chaotic situations.