Did your dog recently get into an extremely sticky situation? If your dog has encountered tree sap, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll teach you the tricks on how to get sap out of dog fur!
Let’s all agree on one thing: Getting rid of tree sap from your dog isn’t a fun time. Many pet owners aren’t even sure how to do this, so you definitely aren’t alone if you’re feeling this way.
Instead of letting your dog chew or lick the tree sap from its fur, it’s best to give your dog a hand just as you would in DIY dog grooming. Here’s exactly how to get sap out of dog fur.
How To Get Sap Out Of Dog Fur—Step By Step
Step 1: Soften The Hardened Sap
If you try to pull out dried, hardened sap from your best pal’s fur, it will likely cause your dog a lot of pain and distress. The best thing to do is remelt the sap with a hairdryer. Just make sure that the hairdryer is on a low setting so that you don’t accidentally harm your pup’s skin. The air from the blow dryer should feel warm. For the best results, blow-dry the dried, hardened sap for 40 seconds or so by moving the hairdryer from side to side. When the sap becomes soft again, you can stop blow-drying the area.
Step 2: Apply Olive Oil To Your Pup’s Fur
Once the sap appears goopy, it’s time to loosen the sap by applying olive oil to your pup’s fur with a comb or your fingers. Olive oil is a great substance to use because it works really well, and it’s also safe if ingested. You never know when your pup might attempt to lick the product from its fur.
As you apply this substance to your dog’s fur, you’ll notice that the sap will start to loosen into a ball. To make this entire process much easier, periodically remove some of the residues with an old shirt or rag. After massaging this substance onto your dog’s sappy fur, you’ll want to wait a few minutes for the next step.
Step 3: Get Rid Of Tree Sap From Your Dog’s Paws
Most dogs who have sap in their fur also have sap in their paws. If your dog has encountered sap, it’s really not hard for this sticky substance to get in your dog’s paws.
Sap should be removed from your dog’s paws as soon as possible because it could cause severe discomfort or infection.
There’s a good chance that your dog will not like having its paws touched, so you’ll want to say some comforting words to your dog before starting this step. You can even give your dog a treat.
Similar to the previous step, you can remove sap from your dog’s paws by applying the substance to the sappy area. Massage the sappy area thoroughly, and then wait for a few minutes.
Step 4: Give Your Dog A Bath
When you feel confident that you’ve gotten all of the sap from your dog’s fur and paws with the common household item, you can give your dog a bath with dog-friendly shampoo.
While you’re giving your dog a bath, always use warm water so that the sap doesn’t harden again. You may have to rinse your dog several times until all of the oil is removed from its fur.
Step 5: Dry Your Dog’s Fur
The last step is to dry your pet’s fur. Most pet owners would prefer to use a hand towel to dry their dog because it’s usually the most effective. However, if you think a hairdryer is the best option for drying your pup’s fur, feel free to use one.
When Should You Contact A Groomer Or Vet?
Even if you try your hardest to remove the sap from your dog’s fur, you may be unsuccessful. If this is the case, you may need to take a trip to the groomer. A professional groomer will be able to use much more effective products to remove the sap from your pup’s fur. A professional groomer can also trim stubborn sappy areas.
Also, please note: If your dog starts to vomit, becomes weak suddenly, or shows signs of skin irritation at any time, you should contact a vet immediately. Your dog might have ingested sap that’s toxic to dogs.
Tips For Removing Sap From Your Pet’s Fur
- If you suspect that your dog encountered pine sap, you should remove the sap from your dog’s fur and paws as soon as possible. Pine sap is not safe for a dog to ingest, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals .
- If you don’t have olive oil, you can also use mineral oil, coconut oil, or even smooth peanut butter. These substances will not harm your furry friend’s fur or paws.
- Avoid using vinegar to remove sap from your dog’s fur because it could cause skin irritation.
- Keep your dog calm by playing music and/or putting peanut butter in the bathtub. You can also talk with a vet about using medications or supplements to calm or sedate your dog for grooming.
- Don’t be afraid to trim some of the stubborn sappy areas with scissors.
- As you are removing sap from your pet’s fur and paws, you’ll want to do so quickly before the sap hardens again.
- When it comes to washing the sap from your dog’s fur, consider using pet shampoo that’s designed for removing heavy debris from dog hair.
- Be sure to thoroughly rinse the olive oil or another substance from your dog’s fur. If the olive oil isn’t completely rinsed off, your dog could damage furniture and other household items with its oily coat.
- Think twice before letting sap go down the drain. When sap goes down the drain, it could result in plumbing issues.
- If you trusted a professional groomer to remove the sap from your pup’s fur, be sure to ask for tips regarding how to get sap out of dog fur. By doing so, you’ll be prepared if the situation ever occurs again.
- Try to determine where your dog encountered the sap. After figuring out where your dog stepped into the sticky situation, prevent it from going there again. Today’s best wireless dog fence or even the best dog crate can help keep your dog occasionally contained.
- Bathe your dog on a regular basis so that you can spot immediately any sap on its fur. Don’t forget to walk your dog daily too.
Is pine sap toxic to dogs?
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or ASPCA has reported that pine sap is toxic to dogs. If a dog ingests a lot of pine sap, it could experience many unpleasant symptoms.
In order to prevent your dog from ingesting pine sap, you should remove the sap from your dog’s fur immediately. If pet owners suspect that their dog has ingested pine sap, they should make a trip to the vet as soon as possible. An experienced vet will be able to provide your dog with the necessary treatments.
How do you get the sticky stuff off dog fur?
If your dog has recently jumped in some leaves piles or ran through a forest, it may have gotten covered in tree sap.
Generally speaking, removing sticky stuff from dog fur can be done with a few items that most pet owners already have in their house. After applying common household items like peanut butter to your dog’s coat, you’ll want to thoroughly massage the sticky areas.
In addition to removing sap from your pup’s fur, the household items can also get rid of glue and gum. If you have any concerns, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced vet for guidance.
How do you remove tree sap from hair?
Most pet owners would agree that removing tree sap from dog hair is relatively easy. The first thing that you will need to do is locate common household items like coconut oil, olive oil, peanut butter, or mineral oil. The second step is to massage the substance onto your pup’s fur and paws. Be sure to let the substance stay on your pup’s fur and paws for a few minutes. Lastly, give your pup a bath with pet-friendly shampoo to thoroughly rinse its fur of the substance.